For Empanada Dough
Flour - 300 g
Butter - 5 g
Milk - 100 ml
Water - 50 ml
Egg - 1 medium
Breadfruit, Peeled - 300 g
Red Bell pepper, Chopped - 30 g
Corn Kernels - 30 g
Cheddar (Optional) - 50 g
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp.
Cloves, Crushed - 1 tsp.
- Sift flour and add salt. Mix in Egg, Soften Butter, Milk and Water. Dough will stick at first. Dust flour and keep kneading till soft and smooth. Dough should not be sticky or crumbling.
- Use a rolling pin and flatten out to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut into 10 cm diameter circles – use a cup to outline border or use a ravioli cutter.
- Dust flour and place on tray. Cover and refrigerate.
- Boil, drain water and mash Breadfruit.
- Add Bell Pepper dices and Corn Kernels along with Cumin, Crushed Cloves and Seasoning.
- Take out one circle dough and place 1 tbsp. of filling with a small dice of Cheddar (optional) in the middle
- Fold and connect the edges making sure to seal the filling inside. (Brush water on the edges if they do not connect or stick)
- Use a fork or fingers (whichever is easier) to crimp and seal the edges
- Repeat process for each dough.
- Heat Oil in a pan and deep fry till brown.
- Drain on absorbing paper before serving.
TIP: Goes great with a Fresh Tomato Salsa or Sriracha Mayo.