Sugar - 150 g
Water - 60 g
Cream - 375 g
Milk - 175 ml
Egg Yolk - 7
Vanilla - 1 pod (or 2 tsp essence)
Ripe Breadfruit, Peeled - 250 g
For Vegan Salted Caramel
Coconut Milk Thick - 200 ml
Brown Sugar - 100 g
Water - 2 tbsp.
Salt - 2 tbsp.
- Pre – Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (Medium Heat)
- Boil and mash Breadfruit.
- In a heatproof bowl mix 50 g Sugar, Water, Cream, Milk until sugar is dissolved
- Whisk in Egg Yolks and Vanilla. Place over simmering water and whisk for 5-7 minutes. Make sure not to curdle the mixture. Take off heat when necessary.
- Place remaining sugar in a pan and caramelise. Add this to custard mixture along with Breadfruit and mix well.
- Place mixture in Mould (desired shape – ideally round). Place mould in baking container filled half way through with water. Place in oven. Cook for 30 – 35 minutes or until set.
- Take out and let it cool. Unmould and place in refrigerator.
For Salted Caramel
- Place Sugar and Water in a pan and caramlise. Do not stir or agitate pan as Sugar will crystalise and not melt.
- Take off heat when slightly brown.
- Place back on very low heat.
- Gradually whisk in Coconut Milk. (Add 50 ml and whisk till thick – repeat this process until sauce is thick)
- Finally whisk in Salt and Set aside to cool.
- Cut slice off Flan. Top with Salted Caramel to serve.