- Sugar - 150 g
- Water - 60 g
- Cream - 375 g
- Milk - 175 ml
- Egg Yolk (free range eggs) - 7
- Vanilla - 1 pod (or 2 tsp essence)
- Ripe Breadfruit, Peeled - 250 g
For Vegan Salted Caramel
- Coconut Milk Thick - 200 ml
- Brown Sugar - 100 g
- Water - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 2 tbsp
- Pre–heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (Medium Heat)
- Boil and mash Breadfruit.
- In a heatproof bowl mix 50 g Sugar, Water, Cream, Milk until sugar is dissolved
- Whisk in Egg Yolks and Vanilla. Place over simmering water and whisk for 5-7 minutes. Make sure not to curdle the mixture. Take off heat when necessary.
- Place remaining sugar in a pan and caramelize. Add this to custard mixture along with Breadfruit and mix well.
- Place mixture in mould (desired shape – ideally round). Place mould in baking container filled half way through with water. Place in oven. Cook for 30 – 35 minutes or until set.
- Take out and let it cool. Un-mould and place in refrigerator.
For Salted Caramel
- Place Sugar and Water in a pan and caramelize. Do not stir or agitate pan as Sugar will crystallize and not melt.
- Take off heat when slightly brown.
- Place back on very low heat.
- Gradually whisk in Coconut Milk. (Add 50 ml and whisk till thick – repeat this process until sauce is thick)
- Finally whisk in Salt and Set aside to cool.
To Serve: cut slice off Flan. Top with Salted Caramel to serve.