Brocoli Pasta Sauce
- 23 Jun, 2020
- Organic broccoli - 12 ounce
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Small pasta - 8 ounce
- Organic chilli flakes - generous pinch
- Garlic, roughly chopped - 6 cloves
- Salt and organic pepper powder - pinch
- Anchovy, chopped - 1 or 2 (optional)
- Veggie broth - 2 cups
- Parmesan, grated - 1 cup
- Steam small broccoli florets until very tender ( easily pierced with a fork) and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions, and save some hot pasta water when you drain.
- In a large pan, saute the garlic and chili flakes in the olive oil, over medium heat until fragrant and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Add the steamed broccoli, optional anchovy, salt, pepper and broth. Bring to a gentle simmer and start breaking apart the broccoli with a spatula into tiny pieces. You want the broccoli to basically melt into a “sauce”. Continue simmering gently, on low heat until half of the liquid evaporates and it becomes the consistency of a thick sauce, about 10-15 minutes. It won’t be smooth-just broken down and tender. Stir in the parmesan.
- Once the cheese is melted and incorporated, add the pasta. Toss well. Add more pasta water if you want it a little more saucy. Taste for salt, adding more along with pepper and chili flakes.
- Divide among bowls and top with any of the garnishes you like. Lemon zest adds a nice brightness, which I recommend.