Cumin Roasted Carrots and Dhal Salad
- 23 Jun, 2020
- Organic carrots - 4
- Green dhal, cooked - 1 cup
- Fennel seeds - 2 tsps
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsps
- Watercress - 70g
- Organic onions - 2
- Fresh organic coriander - 20g
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts - 50g
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (fan). Peel the carrots and slice them on the diagonal. Peel the onions and roughly chop them into sixths. Place both in a baking tray with the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, a good glug of olive oil and lots of salt and pepper, then roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and dry fry the pine nuts for a few minutes until starting to brown, then leave these aside to cool.
- When the vegetables are cooked, drain and rinse the lentils then add them to a pan over a gentle heat to warm through slightly. Stir in the carrots and onion and along with the seeds and oil from the bottom of the pan.
- Roughly chop the coriander and stir this through the lentils, then season generously with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat, stir through the watercress and plate up the salad, sprinkling with pine nuts and some generous dollops of cashew cheese before serving.