Jewelled Wild Rice Salad
- 23 Jun, 2020
We start off with a savoury option of a jewelled wild rice salad with cucumber adding crunch and pomegranate bringing colour, this vibrant rice salad pairs perfectly with roast, barbecued chicken or grilled fish.
- extra virgin olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- organic onion - 1 finely chopped
- garlic - 3 cloves crushed
- Organic Pachchaperumal or your choice of organic heirloom rice - 1 cup
- salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock - 1 cup
- diced organic tomatoes - 400g
- sultanas - 1/3 cup
- kalamata olive wedges - 1/3 cup
- pine nuts - 2 tablespoons toasted
- organic cucumber - 1 halved lengthways, sliced
- roughly chopped pistachio kernels - 2 tablespoons
- pomegranate - 1/2 seeds removed (see notes)
- fresh organic coriander sprigs - 1/2 cup
- organic broccoli and organic cauliflower - Handful
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add rice. Stir to coat.
- Add stock, 1/4 cup water and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low add broccoli and cauliflower. Cover. Simmer for 12 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the sultanas. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork to separate grains. Toss through olives and pine nuts. Transfer rice mixture to a serving dish. Top with cucumber, pistachios, pomegranate and coriander. Serve.
Fat total 11G
Saturated fat 1.3G
Carbohydrates (TOTAL) 41.4G