Pulled BBQ Carrots
- 23 Jun, 2020
- Organic carrots, peeled and shredded - 7
- Organic red onion, peeled and thinly sliced - 1 large
- Olive oil - 1/2 tsp
- Sea Salt and Organic Black Pepper powder - to taste
For the BBQ sauce:
- Tomato sauce - 1 cup
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Apple cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Organic kithul treacle - 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1tsp
- Paprika powder - 1tsp
- Onion powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Organic white pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Organic lime, juice - 1 tbsp
- Organic green chillies - 1
- Olive oil - 1 tsp
- Cilantro powder - 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 385° and line a baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper you can line it with lightly oiled aluminum foil or lightly grease the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking.
- Shred the carrots with the shredder attachment of your food processor or with a box or hand held grater.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Put the carrots and onion in the baking pan and drizzle the olive oil over them. Toss well to coat and then spread them evenly in the pan. Sprinkle ground sea salt and ground pepper evenly over the top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast for twenty minutes (shake the pan every ten minutes to ensure even roasting), remove the foil and roast for ten more minutes. The carrots and onions should be nice and soft, and lightly caramelized.
- While the carrots and onions are roasting, put the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until fully combined and smooth. Pour into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook for twenty minutes, stir occasionally to avoid scorching the sauce.
- Add the roasted carrots and onions to the sauce and stir well to coat. Simmer for fifteen minutes.