Sweet potato & Avocado Rice Bowl
- 23 Jun, 2020
- Heirloom rice - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Organic sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces - 2 large
- Organic avocados - 2
- Organic baby onions - 1/2 cup
- Wild bee honey - 1/2 cup
- Hot chili sauce - 2 tbsp (30g)
- Yellow curry powder - 1 tsp
- Toasted sesame seeds - 2 tsp
- Organic chilli flakes for garnish
- I recommend making the Curry Teriyaki Sauce a few hours before you want to eat or the day before, just so it has time to marry the flavors and gets thicker after sitting in the fridge. You can skip this step if you like, just keep in mind it will be more runny. Just add the honey, hot sauce, curry powder and sesame seeds to a small bowl. Whisk well until smooth. Add to the freezer for 1 hour or the fridge for a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 420°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the rice, the 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 3/4 cup water to a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and then cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes until all the water is gone. Remove from the heat, keep the lid on and let it steam for 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, add the chopped sweet potatoes to the lined pan, salt and pepper them and bake 25-30 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and tender/cooked through.
- Assemble your bowls adding desired amount of rice, sweet potatoes and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle Curry Teriyaki sauce all over the bowls and garnish with fresh green onions and extra sesame seeds. SO so yummy! If using, add chilli flakes.